Birth & Death Records
The City Secretary's Vital Statistics Office receives, records, and issues birth and death certificates, amendments to birth and death certificates, name changes, court ordered adoptions and burial transit permits for Tomball births and deaths. This office also serves as a remote birth certificate printing location for the State Bureau of Vital Statistics. Certified birth certificates for any individual born in the State of Texas can be issued immediately upon request; the typical wait time is 10 to 15 minutes to obtain certified copies. The City's archives of birth and death records begin in June 1980; birth certificates for individuals born in Tomball prior to June 1980 may be obtained from Harris County.
Vital Statistics hours:
Monday - Thursday 7:45am - 4:30pm
Friday 7:45am - 3:30pm
To order a birth certificate, you must:
1. Verify your identity and prove you're a qualified applicant by providing your:
- State-issued driver's license or ID card,
- AND stating your relationship to the individual listed on the record.
2. Provide the following required information:
- First and last name of the individual listed on the record
- Date of birth on record
- Gender of individual listed on record
- City and/or county where birth occurred
- Parents names of the induvial listed on the record
*Note: If you are attempting to obtain the birth certificate of a sibling, the applicant must provide their certified birth certificate (not a copy), proving shared parentage.
NOTE: Senate Bill 200, Article 5 amended Section 19131 of the Texas Health and Safety Code (HSC) to state that the state registrar or a local registrar may not issue a certified copy of a record to a person who has applied for the record by mail unless the person has provided notarized proof of identity. In accordance with HSC §19131, the City's application has been amended to provide the sworn statement form and to require that applicants provide a notarized proof of identity.
The cost for birth and death certificates obtained through the City of Tomball Vital Statistics Office is as follows.
- $23 for each certificate, plus Certified Mail Fee (see chart below)
Death Certificates (Tomball deaths only)
- $21 for first certificate
- $4 for each additional certificate (of same record)
All documents will be returned via certified mail only. Please refer to the table below when calculating your total:
|No. of Copies||Cost||Certified Mail Fee||Total Payment|
No. of Copies
Certified Mail Fee