Revenue Management

Sales Tax

Sales Tax is collected by the State of Texas Comptrollers Office, and is imposed on all retail sales, leases and rentals of most goods. To obtain more information, please visit the State of Texas website.

The sales tax rate for the City of Tomball is 8.25%. Includes the following rates:

  • 6.25% to the State of Texas
  • 1.00% to the City of Tomball
  • .50% for property tax reduction
  • .50% to the TEDC (Tomball Economic Development Corporation)

Ad Valorem (Property Tax)

The tax rate for the City of Tomball for 2017-2018 is $ .341455 cents per $100 assessed value. Property taxes are billed in October and become delinquent after January 31st the following year. Assessed values represent the appraised value less applicable exemptions authorized by the City Council.

The City of Tomball contracts with Harris County Tax Assessor Collector to collect property taxes on its behalf. If you have questions about your tax bill, you may contact the tax office.

Please remember there are other entities included in your total tax bill. The city only represents one. Other entities you may contact are:

  • Tomball Independent School District
  • Harris County
  • North Harris Montgomery College District

The Harris County Appraisal District is responsible for determining the value of all properties on the tax roll. For specific questions about your property appraisal, you may contact the Appraisal District.

Hotel Occupancy Tax Collections

Tourism can be a key strategy for economic development in the City of Tomball. This is made possible for the city through a collection of hotel occupancy tax. Not only does this tax provide much needed tourism revenue to the city or county, but it can also provide economic development for the entire area. Unlike the local sales tax, the occupancy tax is optional and can be imposed without the approval of voters. The City of Tomball hotel / motel tax rate is 7% of net receipts.

Who Must File?

Sole owners, partnerships, corporations, or other organizations that own, operate, manage, and/or control any hotel, motel, “bed and breakfast inn”, or other locations offering “sleeping rooms” for periods of less than 30 days in the City of Tomball.

When do I File the Report?

Quarterly: the last day of the month following the end of each calendar quarter.

Where do I send the reports and payments?

The City of Tomball has chosen MuniServices, LLC as a partner to assist the City’s staff in the collection of the Hotel Occupancy Tax. Businesses will begin filing their Hotel Occupancy tax returns and remitting tax payments to MuniServices on behalf of the City of Tomball beginning with 2nd quarter ending June 30, 2013. (Taxes due in July).

Make checks payable to:

Tax Trust Account
PO Box 830725
Birmingham, AL 35283-0725